Last Update :11/5/2008
Winchester CC Seeks Superintendent
Position Title: Golf Course Superintendent
Location: Winchester Country Club, Winchester, VA
Start Date: February 15, 2009
Closing Date: November 30, 2008
Respond to: Darren Ward, General Manager
Facility Description: Winchester Country Club is a traditional, private, member-owned family oriented club dedicated to providing for its members quality programs, activities, facilities and service. Founded in 1923 and located in the Shenandoah Valley of Winchester, Virginia, the WCC membership continues to strive to preserve its rich heritage as well as its extremely unique vintage golf course. The golf course features 18 holes with an overall length of 6,276 yards, driving range and practice area.
The facility currently has 350 full Family memberships, 85 Social, 41 Gold and 13 Non-resident memberships. The Club hosts approximately 12,000 rounds annually with an average of 250 golfing members, including 20 tournaments (6-8 are outside events). In addition, the facility has a fitness, tennis and pool area. The facility fee structure is as follows: Initiation fee $5,000.00, Annual dues $4,800.00 and weekend guest fee $45.00.
Manage and maintain Club properties including golf course, Clubhouse grounds and landscaping, open spaces and the equipment used to maintain these areas. Responsibilities include planning and implementing operating budgets, hiring, training and supervising staff. Ensures that the best cultural practices are established to maintain the playing conditions to meet and exceed the membership’s expectations.
Compensation and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $68,800 – 89,000 including an insurance package and performance bonus. Benefits include family health and dental insurance, 401(k), GCSAA dues, paid vacation, family Club privileges, education allowance, and complimentary meals while on duty.
• Maintains the golf course, all grounds and maintenance equipment.
• Works closely with management, Green & Grounds Committee, and the Committee Chairman to produce the best possible results within the prescribed budget and the physical limitations of the facility.
• Schedules, trains, supervises and evaluates all personnel assigned to department.
• Supervises all planting, fertilizing, care and removal of turf, plants, shrubs, trees and other facilities on the golf course.
• Supervises operation of the equipment repair shop.
• Records all maintenance on the course.
• Prepares annual budget for department; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that budget goals are met.
• Maintains course in proper playing condition.
• Implements and enforces comprehensive safety program for employees, members and guest on course in compliance with local, state and federal laws; implements and manages the Club’s hazard communication (HAZCOM) program.
• Maintains accurate work records for all personnel in the department.
• Communicates as necessary with golf professional to discuss conditions of facilities, maintenance plans and scheduled events.
• Attends turf conferences, equipment shows, workshops and other educational programs to maintain a current knowledge of technical and turf innovations and changes that could affect the department’s operations.
• Oversees all course construction and maintenance.
• Keeps members informed about current and future maintenance activities.
• Plans professional development and training activities for subordinates including safety training for equipment use and proper handling of fertilizers, herbicides and other chemicals used on the course; assures that MSDSs are available in convenient location.
• Inspects course regularly to evaluate and recommend improvements.
• Determines if and when course should be closed due to weather conditions that may damage the course if play continues.
• Interacts with the golf professional to maximize the number of rounds played.
• Conducts other appropriate tasks assigned by the General Manager or the Green & Grounds Committee.
• College Degree preferred.
• GCSSA certified or having a desire to be certified is recommended.
• Private club experience is preferred but not required.
• 5 years golf course maintenance, supervisory and/or management experience.
Demonstrate quality interpersonal communication skills.
• Have a good understanding of the need for minimal supervision and the insight to work the hours needed to manage a successful department.
• Have a good understanding of the need to be an integral part of the management, Committee, Superintendent team to accomplish the desired results.
To Apply for this Position: Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to WCC, 1300 Senseny Road, Winchester, VA 22602 no later than November 30, 2008.
[ More News ]