Last Update :11/20/2019
Washington Golf and Country Club seeks Superintendent
“Washington Golf & Country Club is a traditional private country club dedicated to providing exceptional service, facilities and programs to our members, families and guests in a fiscally responsible manner.”
Washington Golf and Country Club (WGCC) is located in close proximity to the Nation’s Capital, just one of the many attractions of membership. The Georgian-style clubhouse sits on one of the highest points in historic Arlington, Virginia. It looks out over one of the most beautiful and challenging 18-hole golf courses in the region and offers views across the Potomac River to the skyline of Washington, D.C. Situated on over 130 aces, the WGCC complex also includes a newly renovated golf course, a new, state of the art golf practice facility, putting and practice greens, a swimming pool, 10 outdoor tennis courts, a five-court indoor tennis facility, and a recently renovated, well-equipped fitness center.
The clubhouse features formal and informal dining rooms, a tap room, a men’s grill, a ladies lounge, various outdoor dining areas, as well as a cocktail lounge, meeting and party rooms accommodating groups of 18 to 60 persons, and a large, attractive ballroom, with a capacity of 300-400.
The Club has approximately 1,400 members, each of whom has the privileges of all WGCC amenities. WGCC is one of the few clubs in the country with a healthy waiting list.
Since 1921, members and guests have marveled at the Donald Ross/William Flynn designed course. Once known as the “Playground of Presidents,” the course offers a big challenge on a relatively small footprint. The course was recently renovated by Tom Doak (RGD), and is expected to open for play in the Spring of 2020.
The redesigned course is approximately 6400 yards from the tips, with the sloped fairways and undulating greens that keep the low handicapper honest, and a forward set of tees that keep the mid to high handicapper coming back for more.
Washington Golf & Country Club is a premier club in the greater Washington, D.C. area and one of the top clubs in the country. The traditions and history of the course and its prominence in the lives of the membership are of paramount importance.
Superintendent, Washington Golf and Country Club
The current Superintendent is retiring after more than 15 years with the Club. We are seeking a new Superintendent who aspires to be part of a great team at a very healthy and financially secure club in one of the best areas of the country in which to live.
The Superintendent reports directly to the General Manager. The position is a department head/senior level management position within the organization. The Superintendent works closely with the Green Committee and Club department head managers to ensure the successful achievement of WGCC’s mission and defined objectives for the role, and ensure a great overall experience for WGCC members and their guests. The Superintendent is responsible for directing the maintenance, care and improvement of the Club grounds, and golf course facilities. The position is a highly visible one that requires strong personal and professional presence, leadership and communication skills with members and staff alike. The individual holding the position is expected to be a clear, positive, energized leader who--
- Is responsible for all phases of Golf Course Maintenance and Agronomic operations, and overall appearance of Club grounds, swimming pool, tennis and clubhouse areas.
- Is accountable for the completion of any construction, repair and renovation projects on the golf course
- Serves as the principal liaison to the Board of Director’s Green Committee
- Provides the members exceptional golf course conditioning
- Prepares an annual budget and achieves financial goals throughout the year, through proper forecasting, expense control and labor management.
- Oversees a staff of approximately 24 employees.
- Directly supervises 2 Assistant Superintendents, IPM Technician, Irrigation Technician, Mechanic, Horticulturist, Landscape Gardeners and Grounds Staff.
- Equivalent to a 4-year college degree program in agronomy or related field
- 10+ years’ related experience in golf course maintenance and management
- Expertise in computer skills—Microsoft Office Suite
- Fluent in Jonas software
- Spray Technician/Applicator Certificate/License required
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Ability to grasp and communicate complex agronomical and managerial issues
- Demonstrated ability to hire, supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling/planning and demonstrated leadership skills in managing issues at all levels
- Demonstrated organization and coordination skills and ability to meet deadlines and multi-task
- Possesses a calm, efficient and helpful manner, good telephone manner and able to work under pressure under tight deadlines, while maintaining confidentiality at all times
- Ability to maintain quality and safety standards
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations
- Mathematical skills
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills to a wide variety of constituents, including golf professionals, committees, the membership and the Board of Directors
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship-building skills
- Proven record of providing excellent internal and external customer service
We offer medical and dental plans, generous 401k, paid time off and holidays. Salary is commensurate with a comparable Superintendent in the metropolitan DC market with comparable experience.
How to apply:
Email a cover letter and resume to:
Patrick Tobey, GM at email@example.com
No phone calls please
Resumes will be accepted until Friday, December 6th.
[ More News ]