Last Update :2/12/2020
The First Tee of Richmond Seeks Superintendent for Belmont Golf Course
Golf Course Superintendent Belmont Golf Course
The First Tee of Greater Richmond (TFT) is a youth development organization that uses the game of golf and its inherent values to shape the lives of young people from all walks of life. We are strengthening the character of the community by providing programs that build resilience in our youth, teach critical life skills, and provide caring adult supervision in a safe environment.
Belmont Golf Course, designed by Tillinghast and modified by Donald Ross, was the original Hermitage Country Club from 1918-77 and served as the host of the 1949 PGA Championship, won by Virginian Sam Snead. Other Tillinghast courses include Winged Foot, Baltusrol and Bethpage Black, which joins Belmont as the only other public courses in the country designed by Tillinghast to host a major championship. Henrico County took over the course – which has lost money each year since 2000 – in 1977 and began debating what to do with the property two years ago. Earlier this year, the county sought RFPs to maintain Belmont as a golf facility.
The First Tee of Greater Richmond, which opened The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course in Chesterfield County in 2000 and The Elson Redmond Memorial Driving Range in downtown Richmond in 2003 (which underwent a $1.2 million renovation in 2017 and is the practice home for the VCU men’s golf team), emerged as the favorite among proposals from national golf operators.
This past year, Henrico County Board of Supervisors voted to approve a proposal from The First Tee of Greater Richmond that will transform the historic, yet underperforming, golf course into a community-focused, inclusive and affordable public golf facility for all ages.
While Henrico County will continue to own Belmont Golf Course, The First Tee has signed a 20-year lease to manage the facility and will invest more than $4 million to reimagine the golfing experience to include a driving range, short-game practice area, short course, putting course and 12 championship-level holes that celebrate the legendary design of course designer A.W. Tillinghast.
The vison for Belmont is to create a first-class facility where the history of American golf meets the future of American golf. The proposed renovation will include:
• Conversion of the 18-hole course to a 12-hole championship course that preserves key A.W. Tillinghast/Donald Ross features, improves bunkers, turf, and greens • Addition of a driving range • Addition of a short-game practice area • Addition of a six-hole short course, with holes ranging from 60 to 170 yards • Addition of a putting course
The First Tee of Greater Richmond seeks an innovative, collaborative, and detail-oriented leader to be the next superintendent for the newly acquired Belmont Golf Course. The superintendent will be the first hire at Belmont and will work alongside Love Golf Design through the course renovation set to begin in April 2020. The superintendent will have the ability to hire his or her own team to have the course ready to open in the spring of 2021.
Location: Richmond, VA
Reporting to: Senior VP of Operations
Golf Course Superintendent Responsibilities:
• Work closely with Love Golf Design during the golf course renovation process to ensure consistent and high-quality conditions for the course re-opening and beyond
• Oversee and direct all operations of the golf course maintenance department • Management of golf course maintenance team members including: personnel recruitment, hiring, training, performance evaluations • Maintain the golf course and practice areas in accordance with The First Tee of Greater Richmond expectations and established standards
• Develop the annual maintenance budget and capital plans to include additional or replacement equipment
• Manage maintenance budget and expenses within the maintenance department to ensure cost containment
• Ensure quality and cleanliness standards are being followed including: staff appearances, equipment repair area, equipment storage areas (both in the maintenance shop and on-course storage areas), chemical and fertilizer storage areas, breakroom areas, restrooms, etc.
• Monitor soil moisture levels and manage daily irrigation practices and scheduling to ensure optimum levels of soil moisture for playability and turf health
• Perform routine inspection and upkeep of the irrigation system including changes and repairs as necessary
• Supervise equipment maintenance, repair operations, and equipment life cycle process. Establish and implement a cleaning and preventative maintenance program for turf equipment, tools, vehicles, etc.
• Develop and perform fertility and pest management programs including proper mixing, calibration, and application
• Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, chemical and fertilizer application regulations, storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
• Develop, maintain, and comply with Virginia Department of Conservation with a Certified Nutrient Management Plan and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan • Provide timely and accurate reporting of all financial and non-financial information as requested
• Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry communication and participation in local, regional, and national trade associations
• Bachelor’s Degree in Turf Management or related field
• 7+ years of industry experience with track record of successful human capital management
• GCSAA Membership required
• Valid Driver’s License
• Possess State Pesticide Applicator License
• Possess high-level written and verbal communication skills • Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating, and motivating personnel
• Comprehensive group health/dental package for individual employee (First Tee of Greater Richmond to cover 75% of health monthly premiums and 100% of dental and vision premiums)
• Employee Savings Plan (401k) – eligible after one year of employment
• Three weeks of paid vacation
• Employee and immediate family use of First Tee of Greater Richmond golf facilities including Belmont Golf Course, Elson Redmond Memorial Driving Range, and Tattersall Youth Development Center at First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course
• Compensation to commensurate with experience
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: Kelly McAnally, Senior VP of Operations at email@example.com
[ More News ]